And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,
for those who are called according to his purpose.
Alfalit International is blessed with organizations that collaborate and support our efforts to bring literacy to all.
Alfalit’s financial support comes principally from the Untied Sates Agency for International Development (USAID), the Swedish Medical Mission Foundation, Läkarmissionen, other private foundations, local governments, churches, individual donors and volunteers.
- In 1991, Swedish Medical Mission Foundation, Läkarmissionen made the first major contribution, donating two-million books for Alfalit’s literacy and basic education programs. In 1994, Alfalit entered into an agreement with Läkarmissionen to begin a five-year literacy program in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and Panama. This cooperative agreement was extended to cover programs in Central and South America and Africa, and Alfalit’s partnership with Läkarmissionen continues to date.
- USAID has been a most important partner in helping Alfalit to accomplish significant gains in education through two Cooperative Agreements. In the USAID supported countries, Alfalit became the premier provider of literacy programs serving close to 200,000 learners and training over 4,000 teachers. Because of the success of the Alfalit Youth and Adult Education Program, USAID awarded Alfalit additional funds to continue the Angola Program and add the Liberia program with financial support thought 2015.
- Our volunteer teachers, churches and other donors have been crucial in helping Alfalit succeed by providing cash ans in-kind contributions that matched USAID funding equal to six times above USAID’s requirement of 24%, which represented $1.42 for each $1 of funding.
- USAID funding has allowed Alfalit to print 2,500,000 educational texts and materials. Most recent were the 500,000 texts materials for Liberia through fuding from the African Education Initiative/USAID.
- Additionally, Alfalit has received significant funds from other non-profit organizations and foundations such as the Sirleaf Market Women’s Funds, Word Vision, the McCall MacBain Foundation, Rotary Clubs, the Angolan Lutheran Church, Global Team Challenge, Bible Societies, and The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
Our sincere thanks to all our contributors: USAID, Läkarmissionen, the United Methodist Church, Rotary Clubs, University Baptist Church of Miami, and our faithful and generous individual donors. Our projects are funded by donations from individuals, organizations, and grants, aided by many in-kind contributions, volunteer time, and free supplies.